When your HVAC system experiences problems, you will need a professional company to help you with replacing or repairing the equipment. A quick Internet search or flip through the phone book will show you all the companies that provide the services you need in your area, but how is it possible to make a decision?
Tips for Selecting an HVAC Service Company
It is never easy to select a company to come into your home to repair or replace your HVAC system. You need to find a company that you can trust to do a good job and fix any problems you are having, but you also want a company that is fairly priced and treats you and your home with respect and care. Cates Heating and Cooling has some advice for selecting an HVAC service company when the time comes:
- Study different companies
Take the time to do some diligent research before hiring an HVAC company to repair or replace your HVAC system. Learn about state contractor requirements, your HVAC system, and any potential HVAC companies.
- Get referrals from people you know
Ask people you know who they use for HVAC repairs. Be sure to ask about their experiences and if they would recommend anyone. If one company name keeps popping up, you may want to reach out to them.
- Ask about experience
Once you have narrowed down your list of potential HVAC companies, you should start contacting them. One main question you should ask them is about their experience. It is important to know how long the company has been in business and what kind of products they have experience working on.
- Ask for references
While not many people ask HVAC contractors for references, it is always a good idea. References can provide additional information about the service the HVAC company provides. If you ask for references, be sure that you follow through and contact them. Ask questions about the technician’s performance and if the project was completed on time and in the specified budget.
- Ask about licensing and insurance
Be sure that you are working with a licensed contractor. In most states, HVAC technicians are required to be licensed. You can also get the license number and look it up through your state contractor licensing board.
You should also make sure that the contractor is insured. This insurance will protect you in the event that something goes wrong while they are working on your HVAC system.
- Check for special offers
While getting a good deal shouldn’t be your number one priority when it comes to hiring an HVAC company to do repairs on your system, it is never a bad idea to see if any of the places that you are considering are running any specials for the services you want.
- Check for Energy Star products
To ensure that you are getting HVAC products that are energy efficient, ask any potential HVAC contractor if they use Energy Star-qualified products. Additionally, the contractors should also be able to show you a calculation of savings for Energy Star HVAC equipment.
- Get a written estimate
Ask any HVAC company you speak with to provide an itemized, written estimate that you can review and compare to other HVAC companies in the area. With the estimate, ask for any warranty and energy efficiency information.
The Importance of Hiring Local HVAC Service Companies
While big-name companies can look extremely appealing, hiring a local HVAC repair company has its benefits for both the customer and the service provider. Here are some of the benefits of hiring a local HVAC service company:
- Hiring a local HVAC company means that you are more likely to get highly-personalized services.
- Local companies also tend to respond to service requests faster than larger, national companies, which means that you won’t have to suffer without heat or air conditioning for nearly as long.
- You are more likely to build a trusting, long-term relationship with a local HVAC repair company, as you are likely to have the same person working on your system numerous times. This is a special connection not often found with national chains. At some point, you may even have the owner of the company show up at your door.
- When dealing with a local HVAC company, you are likely to get better customer service. When you call the customer service department of a large corporation, you are likely to spend a lot of time on hold or not get the specific help that you need.
- Supporting a local business is better for the entire community. Large, national chains will be fine with or without your business, but a local business needs support from other locals to continue to provide services. More of the money you spend with a local company will stay in your community, which helps the local economy as well.
If you live in the Kansas City Metro Area, give Cates Heating and Cooling a call at 913-888-4470 for a quote today. As a local HVAC service company, Cates Heating and Cooling provides exceptional customer service and will assist you with any HVAC issues as soon as possible. Emergency HVAC services are also available at Cates.