Picture this: It’s the middle of winter, the ground is covered with snow and ice, and even though you’re indoors, you begin to feel cold. Even with multiple jackets and blankets, you’re still shivering — And that’s when you realize, the heating system in your home is broken. What do you do?
Good news! Our emergency heating repair service at Cates is available 24/7, so you won’t have to experience another freezing, sleepless night. But, it’s still important to know how to stay safe and warm until our team arrives.
What is Considered a Heating Emergency?
If your home’s heating system, whether it’s a furnace or boiler, becomes inoperative during a time when it is needed, you’re likely experiencing an emergency. A broken heating system not only can inconvenience the members of your household, but it also can put you at risk for health issues.
- Health Risks: Extreme low temperatures can increase your risk of hypothermia, which affects your respiratory system. In many cases, it is also a huge risk for those with heart disease or arthritis. Young children, infants, and elderly people are especially sensitive to the cold.
- Frozen Pipes: Without a heat source, still water in your pipes can freeze. Frozen pipes typically make it impossible for water to flow, which means your pipes are also susceptible to cracking or bursting. For this reason, you’ll want to keep water flowing. Turn your faucets on. Even a small trickle of water can help prevent pipes from freezing.
Staying Warm While You Wait
If you’re waiting for our expert technician to repair your heating system (don’t worry, you won’t have to wait long!), there are many things you can do to prevent health issues or damage to your home.
- Space Heaters: Portable space heaters heat the ambient air surrounding you. They typically come equipped with a fan to blow warm air around in your space. If you plan to use a space heater, be sure to read the directions and never leave it unattended.
- Consume warm drinks and foods: Consuming a warm beverage or treat not only provides comfort but they are also known to keep you warmer! Coffee, tea, or a hot bowl of soup improve circulation and keep blood flowing to your extremities.
- Bundle Up: Find anything you have around the house to wear, including coats, gloves, socks, hats, and blankets. Continue adding layers as needed.
- Exercise: Moving around increases your heart rate and keeps you limber in cold temperatures.
Heating Repair Service Prevention
The best way to prevent needing a heating repair service is by scheduling annual maintenance. Regular checkups can help identify potential issues with your heating system so they can be solved before an emergency.
If you are still getting heat in your home but your system seems to be having problems, call the Cates team right away. It is crucial to address the situation immediately so you won’t experience an emergency later on.
By utilizing Cates Heating and Cooling emergency heating repair service, you can protect your health and those living in your home.
With over 400 years of combined team experience in the HVAC industry, our talented experts bring comfort to your home or business. Our annual maintenance programs are the best way to ensure comfort, but in the case of an emergency, we can make repairs in a timely and honest manner the first time. We offer a wide variety of residential services. Contact us today to book an appointment with Cates!